Seeclickfix Blog #1

• In your own words describe what the company called SEECLICKFIX does for people living in Oakland.

The company SEECLICKFIX helps people in Oakland have a voice and help people make changes that they want to see for example fix street problems like pots in sidewalks and other problems like that.

• Do you think SEECLICKFIX helps people in Oakland to resist oppression?  Explain why, or why not. 

I actually do think SEECLICKFIX helps people in Oakland resist oppression because if they keep reporting a problem and the problem keeps on happening then people will continue to report this problem.It doesn’t matter if they keep on reporting the problem that’s a form of resistance because they are not giving up on this problem until people in power do something about this and make a change.People reporting a problem is actually a good form of resistance because they are not harming no one and they are just using this website to actually just report a problem and do something to make a change.

• Explain the story of how you took your picture for the SEECLICKFIX project (Describe what you took a picture of, when you took it, where you were, how, and why).

I took a picture of the street like cut open in the middle of the 38th street in front of the house 1553 38th Ave Oakland CA 94601.I was walking with one of my friends to school and well we were talking about how Spring brake was in a few weeks and suddenly I almost tripped and my friend was like “be careful”.We were in front of a friends house and then I looked down and I seen the street was damaged and I suddenly remembered I had to take a picture for the SEECLICKFIX project, So I took my phone out and I took the picture.I wrote down the address of where I was I looked around and I noticed there was a tree in front of where the street damage was. I wrote down all the details of the damage and of the surroundings.

• What did you do in class to join SEECLICKFIX on their website?  Describe the steps you took.

In class we did an account in SEECLICKFIX we were ask to fill up some information like write our full name, our school email, and also create a password.Then when we had all our information we were asked if we were Citizens or officials and obviously we had to choose Citizens.The next step was to go to our school email and confirm our email so that our account was made.These were actually all the steps we made to create an account with SEECLICKFIX

• What did you do in class to report an issue to SEECLICKFIX? DON’T FORGET TO SHARE YOUR ISSUE ID NUMBER!  Describe the steps you took.

In class we logged in into our SEECLICKFIX account and then we had to find the location of where the problem was. When we found the location then we were asked certain questions depending on the issue we reported.We were also asked to describe the issue and how did it looked. After describing the problem we had to upload a picture of our problem and also choose if we wanted our problem to show as anonymous or if we wanted people to see our name. When all of this was done our problem was finally reported and they gave us an Issue ID number to check our issue.Depending on the issue they gave us different status like Acknowledge or Open.These were just the steps to report a problem.My Issue ID number is 4280887.

• Do you predict that the City of Oakland will fix the problem you reported?  Explain why, or why not.

In my opinion part of me says the City of Oakland will fix the problem but the other part of me says no because the City of Oakland has other problems to fix not only my problem so they will probably give priority to the issues that are worse than mine.I say they will fix my problem because people could actually trip and fall because the street is really damaged so for that part I do believe they will fix my problem.I feel like there’s a 50 50 chance that my problem will get fix.

3 thoughts on “Seeclickfix Blog #1”

1. Dear Evelyn,
    I am very interested with what you talked about because sooner than later more places are going to have problems. I like how you stated “I actually do think SEECLICKFIX helps people in Oakland resist oppression because if they keep reporting a problem and the problem keeps on happening then people will continue to report this problem” because if problems keep being reported they are going to fix it. This can cause lots of damage if it doesn’t get fixed so I agree with everything you talked about. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me is “I almost tripped and my friend was like “be careful”.We were in front of a friends house and then I looked down and I seen the street was damaged and I suddenly remembered I had to take a picture for the SEECLICKFIX project, So I took my phone out and I took the picture.” This stood out to me because this show and tell me plus others that you care about your community and that you want to make a change by fixing all these cracks and other damages in our community. I just want to say thank you for writing this because this is very interesting and amazing that you want to change certain things. I hope to see more of your writing and I will give you more agreements and feedback. Sincerely, Shania

2. Hi Evelyn, I enjoyed reading your thoughtful response as to how SEECLICKFIX helps the members of your community. Even though to some bystanders this crack may be a minor problem, it does affect the overall safety and maintenance of a community. A point you may want to consider, is what would happen if all these cracks and faults in streets were left unattended? Thinking about these small cracks as something that is a part of a bigger picture, proves that it really is the little things that matter. I encourage you to continue reporting any issue, whether small or large, and to engage actively in your community.

3. Hello from UCR!

I very much appreciated your post. It is well articulated. I also like how you highlighted the grander implications of reported problems that have not yet been fixed.

Recommendations for future posts would be if you could speak more about the neighborhood where this crack in the cement is. Is this a low economic status neighborhood? Is this crack in the cement solely isolated to this particular neighborhood, or are there more cracks in cement in different kinds of neighborhoods?

Thank you for your post!